POINT OF INTEREST - SCIENCE MUSEUM OKLAHOMA
Science Museum Oklahoma offers hands-on experiences, learning opportunities, and interactive exhibits. When you’re visiting this stunning museum, make sure to make pit stops at these exhibits and attractions.
- CurioCity: Pronounced “curiosity,” this interactive exhibit encourages learning through play. There are activities such as storytelling, obstacles, and playing instruments.
- Light Minded: In this dark room, learn about light and how it is used in many forms. There is a plasma tube, Tesla coil, and strobe lights! You are also able to see your body’s heat patterns with an infrared camera.
- Elemental Worlds: Resetting every 15 minutes, this exhibit allows you to use decorating and designing tools to color one of 12 animals. When you are done coloring, the animal comes to life in the simulated digital forest that surrounds you! Find out more.
- Science Floor: This exhibit is at the heart of the museum, and offers endless opportunities for science to find a place in your heart. Try out the Segway park and the Resonant Pendulum.
- Follow the Monarchs: Over a thousand paper monarch butterflies reside in this exhibit. They are colored by kids, and have messages left on them. This is part of a traveling art exhibit called “Follow the Monarchs.” While you’re there, you can learn more about the monarch butterfly and the conservation efforts surrounding them.
- Tinkering Garage: Activities in the tinkering garage change monthly, so there’s always something new to try! In this exhibit, you can explore the different aspects of engineering, art, and technology.
- Destination Space: Destination Space is an exhibit totally dedicated to all things space-related. See lots of engines, rockets, and learn about Oklahoma’s involvement with NASA.
- Kirkpatrick Planetarium: This planetarium provides unique experiences by allowing viewers to see directly into the cosmos. There are a variety of shows, and depending on the day, you might be able to catch a glimpse of something new in the solar system! More information.
- Science Live: Science Live shows are explosive and loud! Using dynamite, fire, and other exciting elements, Science Live shows are not for the faint of heart.
- SMO Gardens: Explore the SMO Gardens and see the native plants of Oklahoma. There’s a kids garden, a vegetable garden, a water garden, a hobby greenhouse, and a lot more! Lawn games are also available.
There are a variety of camps offered by SMO. There are summer camps, fall camps, winter camps, and spring break camps, specifically designed for kids. Children get to experience science experiments, discover science elements, and enjoy the fun of science.
SMO also offers scout-specific programs for Girl Scouts and Cub Scouts.